Tuesday 29 May 2012

Competitive vs Casual

Hey guys, I was going to make my first real post regarding something else, but I really wanted to clarify what I mean when I call myself a competitive gamer. I don't play on the competitive scene in any games (yet), and I don't think I'm the best there is at anything. But I am determined, and that's how I define being a competitive gamer.


Take League of Legends for example. Due to the recent release of Diablo 3, I haven't played LoL that much over the past couple of weeks. But still, I spend a lot of time with the game. Not playing the game necessarily, although I've put a couple of games in today, but watching streams and videos, keeping up to date with characters and matchups, reading strategies from both the "pros" and the casual players and what their issues have been. I am determined, if I cannot play the game or don't feel up to it, to stay up to date and learn as much as I can about the things I love to do.

And that's what being competitive is about, in my opinion. That sheer determination to be better than the average player. To be able to react and change my strategies when something doesn't work. When faced with difficulties, being able to overcome them and emerge victorious. But I understand not everyone is like this. I have absolutely no problems with people who just want to jump in and have fun in casual games of League of Legends, provided they're not having a detrimental effect on people who want to play at their best.

Casual players have a much different mindset than people like me who are playing mainly to win. They're playing for fun, to mess around with their friends and to try new things. This I have no issues with. But when they give up early, deliberately die over and over again just because someone on the team said something immature and upset them, that sort of thing can upset players like me. I'm not going to blow up or anything like that, I'll continue to play at my best and try to bring the game back to a winnable state. All I, and I'm sure most competitive players ask, is that you try your best when you're playing with us. That's all.

So those are the differences between casual and competitive play (in my opinion). It might seem like on a blog like this it's a little strange to have this sort of discussion, but as you'll see in my posts in the future, I'll probably be referring to both these kinds of players and how they tackle both older and newer games.

5 comments:

  1. So it sounds like you play to win above all else.

    I know that when we've played games like League of legends you're usually open to trying different things; for fun or just for testing.

    When other people see you do this in games I know that they generally have their doubts and will tell you how you're an idiot for doing things like that.

    What's the best way to deal with something like that? Where's the room for people to try new things and potentially fail though they generally were trying something that might work/be fun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best way to deal with something like that I feel is just to wait and show them that you're playing seriously, even if it's with a new combination that seems like it might not work at first.

      Following the fundamentals of the game and proving you're a good player regardless of character or item choice should dispel any doubts they have about you 'trolling' them.

      I think a good time to test these is in those more laid back casual games with friends, as it's a good opportunity to try out new strategies without people telling you that you're just messing with them.

      Delete
  2. I can really see where you are coming from on this B-Man. I'm not a super competitive gamer but I, like all people, like to win. But more importantly I like a good, fun game.

    I too play LoL and am very aware that I am at best an average player and at worst really quite bad. I most of the time play with friends with much more talent than I and I know that I can frustrate them sometimes.

    But I still have fun and I try my hardest all the time. I'm looking forward to more posts and I hope that some good dicussions get going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Unidentified Male with All the Usual Problems, who will henceforth be UMWATUP. What's important is that your friends know you're trying your best to win, and if they get frustrated with you, ask them if they have any ideas to help you improve. Being open to criticism is a big part of learning to better yourself, particularly in games, rather than just shrugging it off.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you won't be annoyed when I keep dying then :P

    ReplyDelete