Monday 21 May 2012

Stay a while and listen...

Oh blogs! There's so much you want to say and you just pray people read it.

But I've heard that if you throw enough blogs at a wall sooner or later it starts sticking.

So let me tell you what we're about here, who we are and what we want to do to you.

I'm Clinton (see introductory post below) and I'm a storyteller. I want to play through other peoples stories so I can read them in my own way and then tell them in my own way. I want to share my experiences and then want you to want to have your own. This is why I love games.


Brandon's my brother, he's a fighter. He wants to win or wants to know how he can win. He hates losing. He's been doing both for a very long time with games. He wins more often than not and beats me often. Games give him the opportunity to measure himself against the best. That's why he loves games.

Beck is new. I've met her just now, but Beck is very important. What I know about her you know about her; she's introduced herself below.

Well, that's us! What the hell's the blog for then?

Well we want to show you how games stand up now. Old games are still good. I've got so many memories of games played that I'd love to go back and do again for the first time. Zelda, Diablo 2, Halo 1, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong 64, Chrono Trigger the list goes on.

In today's gaming landscape there's a new blockbuster nearly every month, another game you absolutely have to play, a sequel you're invested in. New stories, new worlds, new people. I understand it's so very important to be keeping up with your friends and what they're doing, but let's be honest.

Nothing was as good as snuggling into your blankets and powering through Final Fantasy 8 over your school holiday break.

Or getting that third medallion in Zelda and discovering just how little of the game you've finished.

Or fighting off pirates with witty phrases in Monkey Island. This is a list that goes on.

These and others were the moments when you stopped. You took a moment to marvel at the experience someone made. Made just for you.

This is why we all love games, or should love games. There are people who don't, not yet. That's okay! I genuinely believe they just haven't shared one of these moments that made the rest of us who we are.

Old games are still good, there're some real gems that might not have the insane graphics you're used to, or the ridiculously micro-manageable features you love but they can reach out and touch you in a way that makes them unforgettable.

This is what I want to share.

4 comments:

  1. awesome! i love old games and am subscribing to this blog! :D i love how all 3 of u have different perspectives on old games, but all 3 of u love them as much as me :) looking forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thuaners for your response! I really hope we can keep you entertained by the warmth of your monitor at night and regale you with tales of adventure, of bosses beaten and enemies overcome!

      Also I hope to always have the time to welcome new subscribers; you're the first but I hope we get many and that I can thank each of them for the time they give us.

      Delete
  2. Just read through all your current posts and I can't wait for more. Really good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks UMWATUP!

      I don't know if that's your intended acronym but it seems to work!

      The plan is to build it all up over time; get something that people can rely on in terms of regularity and consistency and bring some of the old games back to life, one way or another.

      Stay tuned; more stuff coming this way soon :)

      Delete